As silly as it might seem for someone who claims to avoid sugar, I made ice cream. And… the recipe came from Martha Stewart Living.
It was creamy, very sweet and had a very strong coffee flavor. The rest of the family thought it was a hit! It is so rich that we only had little cups.
Coffee Ice Cream
Makes 6 cups
* 2 cups whole milk
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup brewed espresso (I used 1 1/2 cups I think. A whole Moka pot.)
* 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
* 8 large egg yolks
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Combine milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, the espresso, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.
3. Gradually whisk half the hot milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Pour egg-yolk mixture into saucepan, and whisk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
4. Pour through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl set in ice-water bath. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate 2 hours.
5. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.